Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Granola Bar Challenge: Accepted!

I would also like to accept the chicken tortilla soup challenge, but I am currently unable to find my slow cooker. I suspect it may have succumbed to the same fate as my other appliances that mysteriously wound up not at all where I left them. The investigation is still underway.

In the meantime, I did take a not very creative pass on the Flour Bakery Granola Bars. Joanne Chang includes this recipe in her newish cookbook. While not quick, it's very easy and well worth the effort. The only thing I did differently was dial back the sugar in the jam, as I like my fruit bars (and come on...that's what these really are) on the tart side. My bottom layer browned very quickly (they were a little overdone after 25 minutes in the oven), but this actually gave the bars a caramelized/brown butter flavor that I really liked. I may have eaten 6 bars in a 24 hour period. I don't recommend it. Luckily, coworkers took the rest off my hands.

Finally, I now have a lot of millet. I'm looking forward to making these (maybe with raspberries?), but all other millet suggestions are welcomed!

Recipe (Note: You're supposed to process the toasted walnuts with the oat, flour, etc. mixture.)

1 comment:

  1. Oh wow. Those look SO GOOD. Maybe there should be some this weekend?!

    ReplyDelete